This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke & The Bookish
I have not participated in months. As a result I am feeling a little bit out of touch. This seemed like a good enough place to jump in as any so here goes this weeks Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book.
- APOCOLYPSE – big time. Anything world endy, the end is near; destruction of earth is completely off my radar. I might have mentioned this before, but I live in this lovely little bubble where nothing goes wrong. So how is one to maintain such a delusion if she read books in which the world generally doesn’t survive all too well.
- ZOMBIES – Yeah, I am a wimp. Who cares. We went to watch World War Z the other day and I chickened out near the end of the movie and left my lovely fiancé to face the music alone. The same goes for books. I read my first Zombie-esque book the other day – and admittedly I really enjoyed it, but I am inclined to believe that it was the exception to the rule.
- ALIENS – As it is, I am currently reading one of these. By my own stupidity I didn’t read the blurb properly. Keep your eyes open for the review and tour in about 2 weeks to see if I have changed my mind about aliens.
- HORROR – See above. I. Am. A. Wimp. I have not yet read a Horror that will change my mind. I have nightmares.
- SUICIDE – I have read a few ones focused around it that are not too bad. Mostly though they end badly and leaves me feeling depressed and rather unhappy about life. Safer to just stay away from it.
- BIOGRAPHY – No reason – I just don’t find them all that stimulating as they tend to have a lot of boring bits in between.
- WESTERN – This only covers those really bad ass westerns were there is not even the littlest lick of romance. A girl has got to live a little!
- RACIST THEMES – I Live with it every day. SA has travelled leaps and bounds from the Apartheid era, but there are still a lot of issues that we have to work on so I don’t need to read it.
- NON FICTION – Non fiction is boring. Nuff said.
- RELIGIOUS – Too many potential land mines to step into. I am comfortable with my faith. I don’t mind religious fiction. Just don’t like the non fiction all that much. See point 9.
So pretty much I am a happy person that chooses to surround my life with books that will continue to keep me happy. Which is the way most readers work I am sure. Mine just goes that little bit further to include not reading unhappy books in general as they tend to affect me rather quickly. My one exception to the rule is Leslie Pearse. Her books rock, even with all the heart ache and loss running through them.
- Top Ten Words or Topics that Put Me Off a Book (thereadingdate.com)
- Top Ten Tuesday: Book Turn-Offs (sarahsaysread.com)
- Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book (46) (moonlightlibrary.wordpress.com)
- Top Ten Tuesday – Turnoffs (thebookfix.wordpress.com)